Thursday, December 20, 2007

Now directing...

One of the difficulties associated with Christmas is WHO is directing? Many there are who would like to direct the coming of Jesus. Every Church seems to have several who attempt to direct the show. Yet, life is like that in so many areas. People who like to direct, have an ego that they are trying to satisfy, and their lives depend on others following those directions. What good is a director without having someone to direct? Politicians are trying to outdo each other to let us know that THEY are the ones who can direct. Their difficulty is that the star which they want to direct us towards is the White House, and I resist that, just as I resist others telling me that THIS is how it is going to be done.

GOD directs the story of Christmas, and it is humbling to me, that there have been far too many times when I personally have tried to direct others...and as I journey towards Bethlehem this year, I am ever more mindful that God is directing this drama...All that is required of me is that I be willing to choose to start off on this journey to Bethlehem, following that Star to places I might not think I should be going, but trusting in the Director to guide me on the journey. I saw this in the eyes of the woman who began to tell me about the drowning death of her Granddaughter earlier this Fall...seeing the emptiness in her eyes, and gratitude that I made the time to listen to her heart's deepest pain... I listened as two elderly women shared with me their memories of Christmases past, some which made us all laugh, others brought tears to our eyes..listening as they spoke of spending this Christmas alone...

We must resist the urge to rush towards Bethlehem, uncaring of the people scattered along the way.
I feel emotionally overwhelmed this Advent as we near Bethlehem's Manger...and am spending time listening to people along the way...crying with some, laughing with others. yet as I do so, I find myself wrapped up in the message of Christmas...that it IS Good News, and it is for ALL of the people...

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Dad, I'm so glad there are others beside you to share your journey. None of us travel alone!