Sunday, December 23, 2007

ALMOST...

When I was young we would ask our parents, are we ALMOST there? And as we drew nigh to Christmas, we would ask the same question to which the response was ALMOST... I couldn't sleep most all night because of coughing, so I sat by my 12th floor window gazing at the lights below. And at some point, I made the emotional decision that this year, ALMOST would have to suffice as we neared Bethlehem. After having run some errands for my mother in the pre-dawn hour, dropping my deliveries outside my sister's door in West Melbourne, I wandered around through the waking hours, until I arrived at the Chapel where I worship...There I sat in my car tears welling up in my eyes, this Church which had been so much of my parents' and especially my Dad's life.

As I entered people rushed up to me asking if I was feeling good, are you over your Dad's death? etc. etc. and as I sat in the front pew tears welling up in my eyes and I uttered'ALMOST." As we stood to sing Silent Night,
grabbing hold on my walker, I sat back down as tears came streaming on my eyes, as all the burdens of recent times came crushing down upon me, as I remembered my wife Phyllis who died in 93, and my father, who shared my passion for preaching, for faith and Christmas...and silently I told God, that I knew He would understand that this year I will ALMOST get there to Bethlehem's Manger.

And it's okay...as long as I keep my eye on the Star, and trudge along...

No comments: