Thursday, December 13, 2007

Happy Birthday Heather

It was a cold December Sunday morning, when after an hour's sleep, Phyllis said 'CALL THE DR.' Over a foot of snow had fallen...I put on my red sweat suit, and rushed out to shovel the driveway and sidewalk...and off we went. Not having been plowed, it was slow going...and as I approached a Stop sign in Sidney, NY where the Hospital was located, Phyllis said "There's a Stop sign" and my reply was that "I'm not stopping because I'm not delivering."

How different those days were - I was not allowed in Labor room OR Delivery Room...rushed home to change into my Preaching clothes, then back to the Hospital...Now fathers are allowed to stay with their wives, and be part of all...As I paced back and forth, HEATHER LYNNE arrived about 8:30AM...I called the parents COLLECT in pre cell days, and off I went, to announce the birth...Had no shepherds, or angels, so I blared the horn all the way back to Bainbridge, windows down shouting the GOOD NEWS...

That was 37 years ago today, and tears well up in my eyes as I remember that for the first time, Phyllis and I EXPERIENCED the miracle of life in the Christmas Story. Happy Birthday Heather, and it is fitting that you are having a storm in the Boston area. Surely a STAR is dancing in the Heavens on this day as it did that day you were born...

No comments: