Thursday, December 6, 2007

The importance of Stories

As a young child, i loved listening to stories, and in that way, I got to know my Great Grandmothers, Grandparents all, and everyone else in between. In today's busy world, we don't always have the patience to LISTEN to these stories, and I believe that we don't get to learn about these people. My father, who died recently at age 91, was a teller of stories, and taught me by example how important the stories are! I have a belief that if every person had but ONE PERSON who listened to their story, without giving advice or being judgmental, we would not need Psychiatrists because when someone LISTENS to these stories, the stories and the people become important.

While I had many shortcomings as a minister, and person, there was this ability to LISTEN, not only to what is being said, but also to what is unsaid. When Phyllis, Heather, Jennifer and I moved to Martha's Vineyard, I learned further the importance of stories from the Wampanoag people who lived in Gay Head and were part of my Church there.

One memory I have, was when my family traveled to Goffstown, NH to the family homestead to celebrate Christmas and on Christmas Eve my father, Bette and Paul Doonan, David and I went to a house down in the village which was the local Catholic Church. We arrived early and there was a Senior Citizen who was singing 'O HOLY NIGHT' and her rendition was awful. I couldn't believe that she would sing this during the service, but Dad said she was the local soloist. She sang as the Offering was taken, and David and I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Since that night I have heard it sung many times, none so beautiful as that by my daughter Jennifer, but that night I realized that this woman's solo was her 'gift' to the Christ Child, and we should celebrate her sharing this gift. Christmas memories abound within me, and I shall share more of these stories
and others in the days to come...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

From Jennifer (though it will read as Matt because he's still logged in!)

Hooray! It's such fun to see you writing--you'll have to send the address to others so they can peer in on your musings. I'm glad we are placing these wonderful memories in this special place....from there, we hold them in our hearts!