Sunday, December 9, 2007

More on "Giving..."

Since my daughter Jennifer mentioned it, I had planned to comment later but will now. I had a phone call one evening telling me that Amy Grant and Vince Gill were to be in St. Cloud for a Christmas Celebration, would I like to go? It was one of those special events that one thinks of, but doesn't do for one's self. My birthday/Christmas gift from Heather, Jennifer, Matt and the grandchildren was a ticket 'FIRST ROW MIDDLE'for the concert. Each time that I drive past the hall on 192 I think of how special that night was...I have tears in my eyes even as I type this blog, because it touched my heart so deeply, and still does. It was electrifying, and the whole family was there to share in this concert, and they sung together. As much as the gift itself, the fact that they thought of me, and how much I would appreciate it. Amy started singing in that town or that area...it is the gift that keeps on giving, and though there were many people there, I felt as though they were singing just for me...

I don't need things any more. and the most precious gifts, aren't those that we wrap up in the fancy paper, but shared from the heart...and when I share a gift with someone, it's NOT with the question as to what I shall receive in return. When Heather and Jennifer were young, I would always buy one special gift for each of them, and for Phyllis... the Santa issue is dealt with in whatever ways people choose, but who of us doesn't yearn to believe in a person in a red suit who gives a gift just because they want to - and for no other reason...

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Dad, I'm so glad the memories of that concert continue on. I don't know if it was at that concert of another where Amy told the story of visiting Minnie Pearl, I believe (this same story is in her new book, I think). They spoke about Minnie's favorite color--black--because the darkest times provide outline and clarity for all the rest. They provide definition for life. There's a lot of wisdom in that!

heather said...

My favorite memory of a gift I gave was when I found the Sunshine and Snowflakes Christmas album on cd. It had been many years since we had a working record player and I missed hearing those songs each Christmas. It was so wonderful to hear them again! I was so excited to send it to you.