Thursday, December 6, 2007

the Christmas Play

I attended Liberty Street Elementary School in Nyack, NY after we had moved from Woonsocket.RI. In the 6th grade, Miss Filer asked me to be one of the stars in the Play...I was to be Caspar, the wiseman, Dick Faband was to be Balthazar, and Philip Fulmor was Melchior. It was a play about the Wise Men and the decision they made to travel to Bethlehem. There were Carols sung by cast and audience, and the three of us had the major speaking parts. In the emotional Procession to the Manger the 3 Wiseman processed down the aisle, and up the stairs...I went first, then Melchior followed by Balthazar. As I was walking across the stage suddenly Melchior tripped coming up the stairs on his long colorful robe falling flat on his face...his gift of Frankincense came sliding right by me to the foot of the manger. Someone sitting behind my parents in the balcony, when asked who the Wise Men were, and my name came up "Of course he's a good speaker, isn't his father the Baptist Minister?"
Have YOU ever been in a Christmas play or pageant? Peter

3 comments:

heather said...

I was always a shepherd in the church pageants. I always wanted to be something more exciting--although the shepherds in retrospect did experience a lot of excitment out there in the fields with the angels appearing to them. I always think of "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" and the angel of the lord striking fear in the shepherds as she told them of the Savior's birth.

Unknown said...

Jennifer again....I have to remember to sign Matt off before I begin to post!

I might have one year gotten to be an angel--sliding into someone else's role--but I can't remember! I do remember Connie leaving to throw up--that was excitement. And then I remember the really beautiful slide show you made, Dad--in Franklin, right? The farming communities have the props all set to go! Our church in CT has an impromptu pageant for families on Christmas eve. Kids come, grab a costume on their way in, and they're anything they want to be. Last year Kyra brought her sheepdog costume and was the first official sheepdog at the manger. There can be 12 Wise Men, 2 shepherds, etc.--it's come as you are at its best. By the end, everyone is on the floor around the manger singing Silent Night. I was absolutely moved by it--on the floor beside the manger is just where we belong!

Sue said...

Hello, Rev. Sanborn! This is Sue, Jennifer's old friend and roommate from college ... I heard from your wonderful daughter that you have started a blog of your own and I wanted to check in, say hello, and send our best wishes and prayers your way.

I enjoyed this post about the Christmas pageant, yet thinking back to my own childhood, I don't think we ever had one in our church. Maybe it wasn't something that Christian Reformers did in our neck of the proverbial woods. :) We had Christmas programs, sang songs, etc. but I don't recall ever having a pageant. But even if we did, you wouldn't find me in one. I was the Introvert with a Capital "I" -- any kind of public appearance brought me anything BUT joy. What happened to your falling friend would have undoubtedly happened to me ... and scarred me for life. I suppose I am relieved that the absence of a Christmas "pageant" in my childhood has therefore left me relatively unscathed. :)

Can't wait to read more of your stories!