Friday, December 7, 2007

Lists

How time has changed. A half century ago, Sears catalogues were free! In October of each year, Dad's sisters and the grandparents would encourage us to send our 'lists' of what we would like for Christmas. Dog eared pages with initials were many and lengthy lists were sent to New Hampshire. It took we children a few years to realize that we received NOTHING on our lists, but did receive what they were able to buy on sale, and/or what they thought we wanted and needed. Yet we continued to make our lists in the hopes that they would change their routine of living. All families have their own traditions. There was a huge curtain or closed doors, leading into the gifts. Everyone had to eat breakfast, we children rushed the grownups. Prior to coming downstairs we would line up, with my sister first and then by age, while my Aunt Edythe took homemade movies.
The same lineup occurred as we prepared to enter the 'tree room', what a hoot that was, as each child was given an adult like person to keep a LIST of the gifts and who we would need to thank. One year I asked for socks, and I got 17 pair...and after all the gifts had been opened we would have the "showing of the gifts" as we went around the room showing the gifts we had received. One year I received a hand made Santa Claus suit, complete with rubber mask. Made of wool, I even (at that age) wore the needed pillow..and wore it all day. The year I got the Dr's kit, I spent the whole day checking peoples' blood pressures and giving them candied aspirin...Large gifts were important..better than small ones...but what did WE know? Gifts were and are important...some unwrapped, some hidden. What was the most impressionable gift you have ever given? and what was the most precious you received? and who is on your list this year?
'

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

These questions have had me thinking all evening! I remember giving Mom the small crystal piano that I bought at a craft fair at Calvin. I was so excited about it, I actually showed it to her when I was home for Thanksgiving--asking her to forget by Christmas! I'm sure there are others that made a bigger impression, but this one stays with me. I know the gift that made the greatest impression on you, Dad, was the ticket to the Amy Grant concert. I can't go through the Christmas season without thinking about the luxury of attending her Christmas concerts. They are a wonder! And for receiving....I absolutely remember you supporting Heather and me in going to Disney World after Mom died. It wasn't just the money--it was giving us the encouragement to do what would be most meaningful to us. With only one of us working, the list to whom we give is always shrinking--but we always try to have a special surprise for the kids, however simple it might be. I love the wonder in their eyes!