Friday, March 21, 2008

On a Hill far away

As a child we had 'family council' meetings each Sunday after dinner.  Each got the opportunity to be the President (which meant giving the weekly jobs).  Most of the gatherings went smoothly, but occasionally deep divisions became visible... I wish I could have overheard the gathering in the Upper room...Jesus telling them what was about to happen, knowing in His heart that they weren't worried about His well being, but rather their own.  the tension amongst them as they went out into the night...Jesus going to have a talk with His Father...THIS IS WHAT I"D LIKE<>
I used to love preaching during Lent, particularly Holy Week.  Fifteen years ago, as I walked into the Pulpit to preach, Phyllis' surgery the week before...and out of my mouth came these words of Jesus from the Cross...ELOI ELOI LAMA SABBACTHANI; which I shouted at the top of my lungs "MY GOD, MY GOD WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN US?"  Having their attention, in that sermon, I spoke of how difficult it is to pray "Not, NOT OUR WILL BUT YOURS BE DONE.'  and I shared with the people, the anger that threatened to destroy me, and then told them that Phyllis said to me"WHY NOT ME?"  why should it be someone else?  and then she told me of seeing the end of the pain...and a bright light.." and before I told her what Dr. Warshaw had told me, she hugged me and said she knew she was dying...

The person who wrote THE OLD RUGGED CROSS came from Michigan.  an acqaintance who had grown up in the same town told me that when he died after a meaningful life, the people of that community, silently erected a huge old Rugged Cross on their front line...

On this Good Friday, the prayer is the same, not my will, but yours be done...

No comments: