Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Family Table

It is Maundy Thursday, observing the Last Supper which Jesus shared with his disciples at the Family Table.  One of my regrets when Heather and Jennifer were teenagers, was that we spent far too little time at the Family Table...everybody was busy, going here and there.  Now there is a resurgence to have people gather around the Family Table...

I wonder why it is that so few people gathered around the Lord's Table during Holy Week...
Particularly the Holy week fifteen years ago, when only a handful of people came to the service to share the girls' and my grief...Maybe it's because it is NOT a happy occasion...or like that night when He gathered with His Disciples, they didn't want to hear what He was about to tell them.

I had a Dr. appt. this morning, and the Dr. told me something I didn't want to hear..
I thought of that night so long ago...and found myself humming "Beneath the Cross of Jesus, I fain would take my stand..."  and offer this news to the Great Physician...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

...in whom all healing is found. Thinking of you! And yes, I plan to make my way to the table tonight, 50 mile per hour winds and all!

(Jennifer, though Matt is signed in!)