Saturday, May 17, 2008

Things I have learned from you Dad

Something you said to me when you were sick, Dad, I have remembered during these long days and nights. You wished that others could understand what you were 'feeling.' when you would respond to me and others "I'm fine." it was your way of telling me how sick you were feeling, but you said to me that you were tired of thinking about and talking about it." In an email written late at night, you thanked me for understanding this need.

At that time, I didn't understand as I should have, but now I do. When one "knows" the problem, one can choose to know how you will deal with this...when one doesn't know, it creates other problems, which brings to the not feeling good person, more battles. One night when I was sitting with you at the Hospital so Mother and Philip could rest, you sang in your weariness"nobody knows the trouble I've seen." we laughed and joked about that unexpected concert...but it was true.

I received from you and mother, an ability to 'listen' to what is said and unsaid...thank you for that.
Though we had our times of it...I always knew of your unconditonal love...and I miss you.. I miss hearing you tell me "i'm fine" and understand the reason why you said it...I love you...

No comments: