Saturday, May 3, 2008

Dilly's lesson

Next door to the Church in Bainbridge, NY was a Grand Union. Phyllis and I loved not having to drive to get groceries. Charlie was the manager, and one Christmas Eve he called me over to the store- he said he was going to be closed for three days, and proceeded to empty out the meat shelves in two baskets, and he said Merry Christmas...and he GAVE this to us...Phyllis and I couldn't believe his generosity.

Dilly worked at the cash register, and both Phyllis and I loved her smile. As I went over to get a few things, I asked DILLY 'How are you?" and she looked in my eyes and quickly retorted "Do you really care?" most days I can say, I genuinely cared but on this tiresome day of caring I quickly said "no I don't" and she cashed me out and I went on my way.

It is one of those questions that is asked, even if we don't care. I continue to feel miserable following an incomplete biopsy...and people don't want to ask me that question! I should wear on my t shirt "ask at your own risk" and they know that if they ask me, I will tell them...and they will wish they hadn't asked.

Dilly taught me an important life lesson - don't ask if at that moment you are unable to listen and do so LISTEN. One resident here at the Towers was more straightforward -" those look like comfortable shoes, are they size 101/2 and continued "you look like hell can I have them when you're gone?" I smiled...

No comments: