Sunday, May 25, 2008

do you remember??

On this Memorial Day weekend I have thought about things we remember, and those things which we forget...I can remember Phyllis and I having a discussion at dinner one evening at the Stone House in Dedham where we lived on the third floor about 'memory' She asked me what the earliest memory I had? and I told her that I remembered being 3 years old and how I enjoyed sleeping on the bathroom floor! (I was destined) and she said that she could not think that far back in her childhood.

She marveled through the years how MUCH I could remember! i always thought her to be very intellectually smarter than I was. She said as we continued our discussion, that she would get an IQ test from school and we would both take it and see. I felt embarrassed when the scores on the test showed that I had a higher IQ! I fidgeted and said, I didn't believe in tests...This discussion was ongoing, as we awaited our first born child, and like all parents we wondered!!

I also wonder why it is that we learn life's lessons through LOSS or difficult moments, and not when we have succeeded or everything is going right? My father and mother have always marveled at my memory...but they had a child with a photographic memory...

No comments: