Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine's Day 2008

This day for the last 15  years has been difficult for me!  Society says that it is a day for 'lovers'  those people who exchange jewelry,  cards, flowers, or candy, and a meal spent together  I am thinking of my Mother today alone on this day after 68 years..I had hoped to go visit her today but she wasn't feeling up to a visit.  I DID send flowers from the family and I.  She has told me via phone how beautiful they are, as she gazes upon them she thinks of us...

I always tried to remember to send flowers to Phyllis and the girls...except one year when I got so busy working Psychiatry floor at Bassett Hospital and ministering to a church nearby..that I forgot.  So, I sent flowers to them on President's day instead.  I have changed my views of this day as these years have passed moving from a feeling of loneliness, to solitude.  Oh, I still send cards to the girls, Matt, and Grandchildren...and a couple of other cards.  I regret the mistakes I have made in the past, not spending enough time with loved ones, but I rejoice that God gave me the gift of listening to Him, to others, which is in itself a gift of love...  God loves you.so do I.

2 comments:

heather said...

Dad, thank you for the flowers you sent me! They really brightened up the week. I appreciate the ways you show how much you love us.

Jennifer said...

I remember the Valetine's gifts and flowers....and President's Day, too! Matt conveniently notes that Valentine's Day is a month after my birthday, so he can "make up" for any birthday missteps. It is something we all do--we miss the big days, and sometimes the after-the-date efforts mean even more! We love you--thank you for my magazine!