Monday, February 25, 2008

MY MOTHER AND I...

I drove to Dr. Philip's Hospital this morning, on what has become for me a wearying journey of 70 miles each way to Celebration.  My mother was on the commode, and she apologized, but then mumbled 'how fitting."  My sister in law who has been with her in the Hospital stepped outside the room for a few minutes...

Mother took my hand and placed it on her heart, a wearying smile on her face, as she spoke softly "thank you for understanding Peter"  she went on to say how she was thankful that dad had died before seeing her like this "he wouldn't understand" and he would not have.  He would have been like a cheerleader at the Homecoming Game urging her to fight harder to live, and not give up;. 
She grabbed my hand tighter" you don't think I'm giving up do you?"  

I said that no, I didn't feel that way, that I understood how, after almost 91 years and miles and miles traveled, that she was tired...at which point she fell back asleep. clutching my hand to her heart.  I prayed with and for her asking God, however He chose, to grant her peace.
The selfish side of me would have spoken differently, but the weary smile from her eyes to mine as I rose to leave and kissed her hand and cheek spoke the language of silent gratitude from her son...How blest my life has been having my parents, having Phyllis, Heather, Jennifer, Matt, Kyra and Lucas...

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Dad, I'm so glad you were able to see Nana. She's been so much on my heart and mind since your call on Friday. We've all been so fortunate to have her in our lives for so long....and of course her spirit will transcend this life. I already feel her near me, despite our distance from her. Much love to you--I'm sure this is so very, very hard....

Sue said...

What a gift this is for you, despite how difficult it might be, not only to be in close proximity to your mother, but to be WITH her now, in so many ways. I didn't know she was in the hospital, but what a treasure for her to have you there by her side. I can still see her face since our first meeting during a college spring break trip (and I loved the cheerleader image of your dad -- how truly fitting!) ... a memorable woman, and a blessing to her family. Our prayers are with you all ...