Sunday, May 31, 2009

June 2



It has been 48 years, yet I remember it as if it were today. Everything in my life is measured by that day. Everybody would say to me, the oldest living child"if there is anything that I can DO for you or the family" I finally said to someone"there is nothing you can DO but if you want, stay near to us and our fears and tears>" This, they couldn't do because they and we, live in a world where "fix it" is what we want to do. It's lilke the question I asked Dr. Warshaw when he told me Phyllis was dying "What am I going to tell our daughters that their mother is dying, because Heather would tell Jennifer "wait til Daddy gets home. He can fix anything." The question came from in my heart!

I listened last night to a young woman, whose husband had died, and her brother was killed. I felt tears well up in my eyes not of self pity, but rather that I could identify with her, and I was humbled that she felt she could talk to me about her brother's tragic death. Every June 2, I have sent red roses to mother and dad, because I understood the pain...this year I cannot, as mother and dad recently died...

The young lady's brother's name was DAVID, the same name as my hero, my older brother, DAVID, who died suddenly on June 2, 1961.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Dad, I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Each year the date appears as a surprise to me--much like the surprise you must have felt when the phone rang and that worst of all news came. Take good care of yourself.