Wednesday, May 6, 2009

A DIFFERENT MOTHER'SDAY




I am an orphan! That reality is more evident as we prepare to observe Mother's Day. Since Phyllis died in 93, I haven't known how to observe this day with Heather and Jennifer. Until this year, I didn't know how they felt. Now I do. I was forced to preach my last Sermons on Mother's Day unable to tell the people I was resigning the next day. How my heart broke that day...
With Heather and Jennifer I have sought to honor Phyllis, and to give them something that would not take her place, but for them toremember...

This year, having lost both my father and mother I don't know to pause and remember. I aman orphan, as are my brothers and sister... There will be no flowers or lunches with them..in her honor I have chosen to give Mother's Day dinner to a family who can't afford one. But the reality is that they are no longer alive, and I miss them. Dad was my closest friend, and mother was my confidante and friend. They were wonderful parents, and I do not wishthem back...but I acknowledge that this year is different. I miss mother and Dad, and my heart is filled with gratitude for them both...

No comments: