Sunday, December 7, 2008

Waiting can be difficult

This year Christmas will be different...in that both of my parents have died in little over a year's time.
Yet it is the same...Memories of Christmas when I was small, and when Phyllis and I were first married, and when Heather and Jennifer were young, tumble over in my mind's eyes. Not that long ago, Heather, Jennifer and family, gave me a ticket to AMY GRANT/VINCE GILL Christmas show...they have no idea how precious that gift was to me...or the December 38 years ago when Heather was born on a snowy Sunday morning, and gave new meaning to Phyllis and I...

This year we have, as a family, much for which to be grateful...the gift, that both nana and Father gave to each of us keeps giving and giving...This year IS different, for there are so many people who are hurting...many have lost loved ones, their jobs, health Insurance, many have lost their homes...A friend said to me..."sometimes being together is the most precious gift of all..." This year I will spend Christmas Day visiting Nursing Homes, people who feel forgotten and lost...I dare to think that the most precious gift I have to offer is the gift which my parents gave to me...that the most precious gift isn't something that is bought..or what we cannot do, but rather taking a glimpse into the Heavens where the STAR still shines, bringing hope, peace, and love ...

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Dad, this is indeed the gift passed on by Nana and Father, and in turn passed from you to us. I still remember the slide show you presented at Franklin--a living nativity taking place in their very own barn with their very own animals, etc. You were a visionary minister bringing creativity to the pulpit before many even knew it was an option. May these memories carry you through this holiday as well!