Saturday, December 13, 2008

December 13,1970

It's hard to wait for God! That is what the days of Advent offer to us - the opportunity to wait...
For new parents to be, there are the endless questions: How do you feel? Are you ready yet? and the young mother feeling life within her tires of the questions... We had traipsed through the woods to find the Christmas tree..I broke three stands, as she directed me as to how the lights should go on.
She rose and went upstairs "to rest because tonight's the night." Though the baby wasn't 'due' until Christmas Eve, she knew better...

I worked on my sermon as the snow fell outside, and went up to bed at 12:30A.M. I had just fallen asleep and she said "it's time" I tried to convince her that it wasn't, but what did I know?? I put on my red sweatsuit, went out and shoveled a foot of snow...after calling the Dr. and I helped her out to the car...

Up until that moment we THOUGHT??? we knew the message of Christmas...as we drove through unplowed snow, there was mounting excitement...I drove home to change into my preaching clothes unable to be with her in labor or delivery room! I had just arrived back at the Hospital, when she appeared...Phyllis waited for the cry which was delayed in coming...and then the baby cried....

That was 38 years ago today when HEATHER LYNNE arrived and brought alive the message of Christmas...In those moments, we dared to imagine what joy would be ours...little did we know in that moment, what joy she, and her sister would bring to our lives...HAPPY BIRTHDAY HEATHER.
SURELY A STAR IS DANCING IN THE SKY AS WE CELEBRATE THE DAY YOU WERE BORN...

No comments: