Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas....2008

As I have sat here gazing at the city below, I began thinking of the wealth of Christmas memories which are mine...the excitement when I was young, of lining up to march into the 'gifts' on camera no less,,,and when my own daughters were young, and I would buy one gift for them, that was a surprise gift...It was important to me, and I hope to them.

I read Jennifer's blog from earlier this month in which she was expressing disappointment that she wouldn't be able to go to NY to Matt's family when all the family would be together, and as a preacher would do, thought of a sermon that I preached one Advent Sunday "The Disappointments of Christmas." and I thought as I read her blog how I could help make this a memorable Christmas for she, Matt, Kyra and Lucas and for Heather...

One never stops thinking like a father, so I arranged to fly to Hartford on Christmas, to surprise them, and to fly back to Florida the next day. I thought that might help them, and I would get to see them.
They had been disappointed so often as little girls, that I couldn't find more time to be a good father.
And then I recently received an email from Jennifer in which she talked about Heather's coming to Ct. and then on Christmas morning they would have driven to New YORK. Oh what a surprise I would have had calling them from the airport...

I cancelled my plans, because they had made their plans, and as it turned out, I have developed more problems with my swallowing, and so am trying to save my throat...but when I was asked, why I didn't tell them of my plans, I replied that I wanted to SURPRISE them...

I am blest with so many memories of Christmas...the Santa Claus suit which was left on the end of my bed in RI and I wore allll day with the rubber mask...the last Christmas that Phyllis was with us, and my parents had driven up...or the Amy Grant Christmas concert, that the family gave to me that I might enjoy...and of all the people who have brought Christmas into my heart by journeying into my midst... I wanted to surprise my daughters, and it was exciting to think about, even though common sense says My health wouldn't allow me to do this...but I would have.

I will sit by the window here on the 12th floor looking at the lights below...and will thank God for the Stars which have reluctantly been placed in the Heavens lighting our way to the Christ child.
May Christmas be a blessing to you, your family and friends, to a world which is waiting for Him to come...

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Dad, wow--I truly had no idea you were cooking up a surprise like this! I'm sorry our changing plans caught you off-guard as well. I hope that you saved the credit from your plane ticket so that you might plan a trip in the spring when it's a bit warmer. While I know it would have been quite a hoot to be here with the kids for Christmas, it's cold and certainly would have brought memories of your days in the north country! Looks like Matt's changing UPS schedule put all of us in a changing flight pattern for awhile there. We'll miss you on Christmas, and will be certain to talk with you tomorrow either from CT or NY. We love you.