Tuesday, November 4, 2008

ELECTION NIGHT 2008

OBAMA will become our next President...at some point later tonight, he will stand amidst half a million people in Chicago and become President-elect...Yet it happened as I sat at the computer looking out at the lights below me that I felt tears well up in my eyes...

I remembered being in atlantic city, nj with dad, at the slot machines on Election Night...and Jennifer would page me with Mr. Clinton's electoral votes...but I was there with Dad...and we shared conversation and time together...

I miss them tonight, but Especially Dad...but also my mother who died recently... I missed hearing the phone ring, or dialing up his number and would discuss the results, or I could picture him at his computer rattling off emails to me, and I would write back...at least eight or more times we would talk...

Yes I talked with Heather and Jennifer, and my brother Philip...and I was glad that they called...but I must be honest as I sat here alone in my apt. watching the returns, that my best friend, dad, and my mother weren't going to email or call...and I wept because it was on such a night as this one, a historic night that I always shall remember...and I know how grateful I am that both mother and dad, raised us to see people as people...and not as colors, or sizes...Maybe I was just feeling sorry for myself...but my tears were of the emptiness that I feel every once in a while that I can't talk to them one more time...

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Dad, you share the sadness with Barack Obama....for his family members who didn't live to see this most historic of days. It is not easy, but somehow their energy can b found in the change that is upon us. How exciting this is and will be--but the highs don't feel quite as high and the lows feel much too low after someone you love has died. Thinking of you....