Friday, July 18, 2008

lost

Lately I have given thought to the GPS and other 'tracking systems' which appear in cars, or on cell phones, and I am thinking that it's difficult to get LOST in this world of today. If such existed in the days of Jesus, we would not have the parables, no lost coin, no lost son, we wouldn't have lost...
I am old enough to remember riding in the car one night with my father at 2 am from the airport where he had picked me up to drive home to Melbourne...He "knew" where he was he kept telling me, although we were lost...about an hour or so later when we came to a recognizable road, he said "i told you we weren't lost.

Throughout my life's journey I have sought to know where I was, and embarrassed to say that I felt lost. with the GPS I would always know where I was! I wonder why it is that I have depended on so many to tell me where I was...and still feeling lost...

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Dad, this post is so true--what meaning would the parables have if we didn't have the concept of being really, truly lost? But perhaps having one's location on a map is not quite the same as truly knowing where and who one is. Trust your inner compass....