Monday, August 11, 2008

August 12

She never did like the birthday parties! Each year that we were married I planned one, most of the time having an ice cream party at the Parsonage. She made me promise in 1992, that 'this would be the last one.' and I honored her wishes. Little did we know, and I am glad that we didn't. This week I gave my Pulpit Robe to the Thrift Store. Before doing so I removed from the robe two pieces of aids quilt which I wore to remember two of the people I had walked with along their journey...
Then tears welled up in my eyes as I removed her wedding ring, which after she died I had a friend sew on the inside of my robe next to my heart...

It was another moment of remembering, being grateful, and of sharing. I have decided that I shall send it to my GRANDDAUGHTER KYRA ELISABETH, that she can put it in her jewelry box as a way of passing on her legacy of love and kindness... Tomorrow on HER day, I shall pause and remember this beautiful woman who touched my life, and who gave this world our beautiful daughters, Heather and Jennifer. Phyllis lives on in each of them...and they had the joy of having her as their mother...

No comments: