Saturday, June 14, 2008

"Father..."



This "Father's day" is different, yet it is same. This picture of my Father and mother was taken on a recent Father's Day...Having heard Tim Russert died, I started to call my Father to tell him, and then tears fell on my cheeks...but he admired Russert, and he would often ask me, who can we trust in Washington other than Russert???

I have so many wonderful memories of Father, as he would lift me high above the waves while we stood in the frigid waters at Wells Beach, Maine...or walking to the pool each evening at Greenwood Village, to keep him company while he did his health thing, and we would visit and talk. I remember him taking part in the Baccalaureate Service at Franklin College when I graduated...and preaching the Ordination Sermon THE DAY NEVER ENDS as I was ordained 38 years ago this June 21. He took great delight when people would ask if HE was my BROTHER...and in recent times since my stroke, one evening at dinner, he said to the waitress...this is my SON and I'm in better shape than he is...

I cherish those and so many memories of "my best friend", but at the same time acknowledge that none of this would have been possible without the LOVE WHICH BROUGHT HE AND MOTHER together...and as I remember Father this week, I sent flowers to Mother and thanked HER for making it possible with her own love...

But AS A FATHER, I also have such wonderful memories, seeing (and hearing) Heather standing out by Route 7 in Bainbridge, NY selling bread that PHYLLIS HAD MADE for 50 cents a loaf (which would be illegal in todays world) and she earned enough money so that she and Jennifer could buy me a new blue bathing suit...no gift was more cherished. or when they would call me on Sunday at the Office as I was putting finishing touches on my sermon, asking that I come home to have the breakfast and cards that she and Jennifer had made for me...and we would go out to lunch...
and I thank Phyllis posthumously for giving me the opportunity of this father having such caring, loving daughters. I was always too emotionally proud of them, but I was and AM. Not simply for their beauty, their academic accomplishments or their musical talents, but because they are such loving and caring young adults who remind me of all the goodness of Phyllis...

So, I have many memories which are wonderful and which I choose to celebrate this Father's Day, and three years ago Jennifer wrote a tribute on her blog to me, which I still read over and over with tears of love in my eyes. tomorrow as I cherish these and other wonderful memories, I shall wear the ribbon which Heather made for me WORLD'S #1 FATHER" which I treasure to this day...
On this Father's day I remember Dad, honor Mother, cherish the memory of Phyllis and thank God daily for blessing me with two wonderful children , a precious son in law, and Kyra and Lucas who are constant reminders of all the good in life...

No comments: