Sunday, April 13, 2008

ROY MACKENZIE

You will never have the privilege of knowing Roy and his wife Lillian. They were in their 80's when I started ministry in Oak Lawn, RI> It was late fault and they were warning people over 80 to get their flu shots. Roy and Lillian didn't want to get flu shots, but I arrived one day and drove them after I had convinced them, to get our shots. Two weeks later Roy died...of the flu. and yours truly learned a valuable lesson in life and ministry.

Lillian said to me "I don't think that Roy wanted to get the shot..." It is easier to let others make important decisions for us, as we can blame them if things go awry. In my ministry, I listened to people, and helped them explore the options, but only so the person could make, for them , what was a correct decision for them. I never told people, after this moment, what they ought to do...even when family members or friends of the person I was talking to put pressure on me "He (she) trusts your wisdom..."

I have FIVE drs. working on my current health, all part of the same grouping, who referred me to the next Dr. and they are disagreeing with the decisions made by the next Dr. in line. In the process they have forgotten about ME...I have been saying for months that there is something wrong, but they have disagreed...and to be honest, I don't trust them anymore to give me the facts, the truth, so that I can make, what is for me, a correct decision...

I am overwhelmed...and only as I think back to Roy, and had I LISTENED TO HIM...it might have changed the outcome....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dad, I LOVE the yellow! (This is Jennifer, by the way.) I know you will make whatever decisions you need to make. Love to you...